Monday, October 18, 2010

Erythema Multiforma (Not Hives)

Rash spreading across my upper torso, onto face, and ear.
Rashes on Left arm.
Large welt on inner right arm.
Down front torso.
Morning, right foot.
Welt over right knee cap
Left Knee
The doctors diagnosis is "Erythema Multiforma." A mysterious condition. Meaning, that they were not hives but an allergic reaction to the Sulfa family of antibiotics. (I had finished taking seven days of Spetra DS for a sinus infection on Saturday night, the day of the party. The rash began, looking like hives, on Sunday evening and quickly spread across my body). Healing has been somewhat wicked but I am on the mend now as the drugs are finally leaving my body. This means that in the future I should not take sulfa antibiotics or these intense spots (welts) are due to return. It is not contagious...this mysterious condition only happens in bodies with low immunity...I have other conditions like Vitaligo which continue to keep doctors guessing. I have been on heavy antihistamines and on cortisone which leaves me open to any illness the children drag home from school. I am weaning off cortisone. We will cross our fingers that tonight will be a peaceful night.

3 comments:

Vicki said...

Ouch! Oh Julie, I want to give you a hug, but it would hurt! I hope you find relief really soon, and that this never happens again!

Jenny said...

Ouch! I can't take sulpha drugs either. But my reaction was NOT as bad as that.

RJ said...

Oh my gosh, you poor, poor, poor, poor, poor woman! What a miserable trial to go through. You have reminded me how much I should treasure good health! I so wish I lived near and could bring you some comfort food and a big hug and some free babysitting. Sending much love via the interweb instead :)! XOXOXOXO, Rachel