Thursday, September 9, 2010

Yummy Breakfast Recipe (Banana Bread Oats)

Oats cooking (with frozen banana slices and spices)
Toasting walnuts under Low Broil
Steel Cut Oats (Uncooked)
This morning I smelled the bananas on the counter and wished I had time to make banana bread. Instead, I threw together this healthy breakfast recipe while we got ready for the walk to school. I added cinnamon, a pinch of Hain sea salt to 4 Cs. water and 1 C. steel cut oats (these are the whole oat grain that is partially cut like cracked wheat not like flattened Old fashioned "rolled" oats). Together, it cooks 15-17 minutes. Then, I added maple syrup to sweeten the deal and toasted walnuts (made by putting walnuts on a cookie sheet and toasting them on low broil approx. 10 min.) In the bowl I served up a ladle of oats, some sliced bananas on top, crumbled some toasted walnuts and a little maple syrup on top with milk/soy milk to cool it off. The children and spouse thought this quite delicious. Post Edit: Rebekah requested this recipe again, Sunday morning. I took some photos during the process. The difference this time was that since the bananas were frozen I cut chunks into the oats to cook/thaw. Feel free to add the spices you wish. This time around I added Pumpkin Pie Spice (sprinkled around), a tiny amount of ground cloves, a dash of cardamom, etc.

No comments: