Sunday, March 28, 2010

A Celebrated Sabbath

This morning, Joe and the children let me sleep in. (I have been up late nights and early mornings with Susie who has been sick and getting worse). At breakfast, Susie and I ate while the rest of the children informed me that they were fasting. Even little Jonathan (6 years old) decided to go without food for two meals and pray for me and the baby. Rebekah, Hannah, and I spoke about the blessings gained spiritually through sacrifice and the difference between starving (going without food) and fasting (praying and involving the Lord) for spiritual growth. Hannah mentioned she too was "fasting for the baby." In the afternoon, Joe and the children headed off to church. After church, we held our family fast and testimony meeting. Rebekah had a question at the end of her testimony, "When a prophet dies, are they still a prophet?" In wiggly Jonathan's testimony he said, "I know my mother loves me. I know sister Rebekah loves me. I know Jesus loves me." My testimony was a rather emotional one as I was so grateful to be a mother (and temporary caregiver) to such wonderful children. Also, to be married to an incredible man and experience joy and happiness in this life, we are indeed blessed. Joe gave me a priesthood blessing that all would go well in labor and with the baby coming. At Clayton Family dinner, Matt and Melissa did a great job celebrating little Sam's third birthday at the Arapahoe House today. They had streamers and balloons hung up, a Pin the Tail on the Cat Game, Hide and Seek the Musical Cat Game, and a Fishing Pond (with airplane, parachute guys, punching balloons, and fancy small notebooks as prizes), and Cat Cake.
Jonathan "pins the tail." Grandpa and his ladies: Sonya, Cora, and Susannah
Dad and Mom Clayton gave Easter Boxes away to each family. Inside the envelope was a printed poem by (deceased) Uncle Keith Clayton, Jr. about the Savior, entitled, "Eloi, Eloi, Lama Sabachthani (My God, My God, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me?)" bound for each couple and a folded up version labeled for each grandchild. Inside the box was Easter surprises: paint smocks (from the Medical School going out of business), an egg paint spinner, Easter cookie cutters, Paas Egg Dye Kits, and baking kit for family fun this weekend. With the Campbell family, we celebrated Dad Campbell's eighty-second birthday with a special prime rib dinner. (the meat was a special gift from Sydne and Michael). We feasted on mashed potatoes and gravy, steamed asparagus, glazed carrots, wheat and white rolls, salad: Green, Summer Pasta, Pistachio and fruited Jello. Anne made a Citrus Sponge Cake (per request). The combined present was a Nook reading system which will allow Dad Campbell to download hundreds of books and read (in the car or at home) to his hearts content!
Bath and Leland Howard
Susie, Julie and Joe
Syd, Anne, Mick, and Lee, and Pop Pop
Lavon Alise and Dad
A Good Life!

No comments: