Thursday, June 5, 2008

I was There!

Last Tuesday, I got a call from my sister who lives across town. Her husband had left that morning on a business trip and she has three children (4, 2, and 10 mos.). She needed help running errands (picking up a Rx from her doctor, filling the medicine at the pharmacy, going to the hospital labs to drop off tests and get some blood work done, etc.) Taking my two (4 and 16 mos.) during what would be their nap time, I left to get some parts to a vacuum I hoped I could fix at home and to help my sister with her little ones. My baby napped in the car. I got to my sisters and by then she felt too sick to travel in a car and had just put her baby down for a nap. I went to fill the Rx, when she called because her baby was up and so I returned and we all went together to the doctors', hospital, library, pharmacy, and grocery store. For those with children, running this many errands with two adults and five children four and under is a bit like watching a comedy and a Survivor episode. (Meanwhile, my two grade schoolers were out of school and off to piano lessons on their own and then to their cousins house until I could get home and make dinner, help with homework, etc. Yes, my Second Grader had homework even though school was out for Summer Break in three days!) When all the errands were accomplished, I arrived at Joe's parents home (where cousins live) at 6:30 p.m. The baby had just fallen asleep in the car, again. Fortunately, Aunt Beth had made taco salad and invited us for dinner. At home, we finished up homework and got ready for bed when my two daughters came to me and reminded me of Field Day (9:30 a.m.) and an Awards Ceremony the next day. "Oh, Rebekah, is it really important for me to come to your Field Day tomorrow?" "Mommy is so tired!" Tears run down Rebekah's face. "Okay, honey, we'll come." The next morning, I hurried to get girls to school, come home and dress preschooler and toddler and get back to school with snacks and camera in tow. A quick break for lunch and we hurry back to the school to try and get chairs for the awards assembly for my other daughter with brief nap for our toddler and a bag of books and snacks to entertain the little ones. I left the camera in car in a rush to make it to the school "in time." After a day like this, All I can say is "I was there!" I was present to see you, my child, in your life.

6 comments:

RJ said...

Oh my gosh, this post made me cry. Mothers are incredible. And your children are so blessed.

Jenny said...

Julie...You are amazing. And you did this all with mono?! Your children and family are blessed to have you as a mom.

Matt said...

You are a busy lady! I agree with my sisters, your kids are so blessed to have a mother like you. I'm looking forward to those fun times with the family when we move up there! I hope you all are feeling better.

Matt said...

That last comment was from Melissa not Matt!

Jason and Jamie said...

You had quite the day! That's amazing that you were able to do all of that with mono! What a supportive mother you are!

Julie said...

MOM...............!
Love,
YOU KNOW WHO