Monday, March 24, 2008

Easter with 911

The weather over Easter weekend could not have been better! March has come in like a lion and at time had us wondering if it would go out like a lamb. I tried to prepare for festivities early this year (and I am grateful that there will not be an Easter this early in my lifetime) because I was scheduled to have a wisdom tooth extraction (my upper right tooth's nerve was dying) on Friday when Joe is home. Saint Patrick's Day and Easter decorations were slight this year. April will seem a long Spring month without Easter. Needless to say, the children had several egg hunts, candy, lesson's on the Resurrection, even a call to 911--Poison Control. Cousin Katie and Jane came with Uncle Mike on Friday and were so excited about egg hunting that Katie hid some eggs in the backyard. Susie was funny to watch. She would collect her allotted three eggs and put them in her little basket. Then she would toddle off, drop the eggs intentionally, pick them up, put them back in the basket and find a new place to hide/retrieve her eggs again!
Katie had even hidden plastic carrots with pixie dust (colored sugar) in our garden boxes. Joe pulled one up by the green top and laughed--how clever! Uncle Mike brought kites and after pizza/soda pop picnic on the lawn, the children and dads ventured to a nearby grassy park to fly kites. Later, the children dyed hard boiled eggs together and cousin Jane slept over. Saturday, the Clayton family met together for another egg hunt, brunch, family baskets hidden by Grandma and Grandpa Clayton and an all around good time. Sunday, Joe made special bacon and "stuffed" french toast breakfast with cream cheese, glaze, strawberries, and cream. The children wore new Easter dresses and suits. Church taught us about Jesus Christ's Atonement and Resurrection, truly a reason for a joyful celebration! I came out of my room on Sunday afternoon after napping with the baby and Rebekah (my second daughter) said,"Dad called 911--Jonathan ate Iris leaves." He had been hungry after church and I suggested he go and get a hard boiled egg out of the fridge to eat because we were going to a family Easter dinner. Guess he was too hungry. Joe Googled irises and found out irises are toxic to eat, especially the roots. Joe called 911 which gave him the number to Poison Control which told him ingesting iris leaves causes irritation of the mouth and throat and to try and get him to dilute the effects with water/milk. Nothing happened. He is a strong boy. Later that night, I was speaking to my brother Dave and he said, "yeah, I ate iris leaves once. It caused my throat and mouth to swell some and become inflamed. It burned for a couple of days. They did look good though. Like you could eat them and that they would taste good!"

3 comments:

Jason and Jamie said...

Is Jonathan ok? What do you do if someone eats iris leaves?

RJ said...

Oh my goodness I want to know too. Please tell us. And I agree, by the way - furry creatures go to heaven. Thank goodness for that.

Matt and Melissa said...

Hey Julie, I'm glad everything turned out ok with Jonathan. I did mean to send a thank you note. Your gift was very thoughtful. We really enjoyed all of them. I used the button batteries right away for my watches. We do enjoy the blue hippo. We have had one since Eli was learning how to walk. Sam enjoys it now too. But thanks for thinking of us. love and miss you guys!