Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Chocolate Amish Friendship Bread?

My sister gave me a bag of the infamous "Amish Friendship Bread" starter...thirteen days ago. As most of you know, the bag is its' own mini biosphere--a yeast starter, you do nothing but mush the bag the first five days, add milk, sugar, and flour on the fifth day, mush the bag the next five days and divide the starter and bake the bread on the tenth day. Taking a chance, after all I was going to bake it, I baked mine after thirteen days because of the construction project, children, and other life happenings around here. Chocolate! Yes, I think it was mighty tasty. Of course, it is really more of a chocolate cake than bread...umm, chocolate cake! The trick was to add chocolate pudding, chocolate powder, chocolate chips, cinnamon, coconut and pecans to the top--delicious. I would let you try some, but the children ate it all up tonight before bed! Anyone want to be my friend? (Now I still have to give two more bags and mini-loaves of the "bread" away!) [This bread has been everywhere! I received my first starter bag in Finland in 1995...Now it has found me again, half a world away.]

No comments: