Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Hurt, Offended, Healing

Earlier this week, someone that I have served with and whom I thought upon as a friend wrote some very hurtful things to me. I was deeply shaken and dumbfounded. How could they? Why would anyone write words like that? Especially when I do not think they meant to offend me...or at least that is what they wrote after unleashing horrible things. How is it that we can open our mouths (or write), "I do not meant to offend or hurt you but_________"? We can almost guarantee that what ever is in the blank WILL BE HURTFUL and OFFENSIVE? Is that the hidden meaning behind those simple words? Then I realized that written words are easily misunderstood. Not everyone has the blessing to be raised by true disciples of Christ who taught me, "No one will care how much you know until they know how much you care." Or "you would think less of what other people think of you if you knew how little they did (think of you)." This meaning that we are inherently selfish creatures who are too wrapped up in ourselves and our own problems to be too worried about trivial things in another. I have given my money, time, and sacrificed to this cause and person (who represents this cause) for many years now--at times feeling guilty for the personal sacrifices it has cost me (like missing family time, personal time, recreation/hobby/talent TIME). Can you sense a theme? Time is so short and valuable to me right now. I have so little of it to do so much in it seems lately. I came across this thought tonight and it gives me hope that to someone, somewhere, all that I have given up to support others these last many years will have benefited and made the sacrifices worth it. Honestly, I was thinking of Mother Teresa...a true saint among many who profess to be when I stumbled upon it... When you give of yourself something new comes in to being... the world expands, a bit of goodness is brought forth and a small miracle occurs. You must never underestimate this miracle. Too many good people think they have to become Mother Teresa or Albert Schweitzer, or even Santa Claus, and perform great acts if they are to be givers. They don't see the simple openings of the heart that can be practiced anywhere with almost anyone.

Kent Nerburn

I am trying NOT to close my heart...but to open it and forgive myself and my friend. Heal. Lord, heal my heart and help it to be whole and trusting again. If we were humble, nothing would change us-neither praise nor discouragement.

If someone were to criticize us, we would not feel discouraged.

If someone would praise us, we also would not feel proud.

Mother Teresa

5 comments:

Jodi said...

I'm so very sorry this happened to you. I just can't imagine someone being so unkind. I admire you for taking the high road and not lashing out (like I would probably do :-( ).
You are wonderful and I hope that you find healing soon!

Julie said...

Thank you, Jodi.
You are kind (and I am sure probably would not be so hurt or carry on worrying about it as I have and do).
Obviously, I have lessons still to learn.
What this lady accused me of I have been afraid of (so she was validating my fears?).
Guess this time of "growing up" still feels as painful as when I was an awkward youth.

Melissa and Matt said...

Here is a quote from an audiobook we are listening to that we thought sounded appropriate; "We need to be as Christlike as we can, and at that point we need to leave it up to others to make their choice on what they're going to do". Christ was perfect, and people hated him, tortured him, and killed him. Hang in there. Don't get discouraged. We love you. Matt and Melissa

Jason and Jamie said...

So sorry to hear about this. You're right that when someone prefaces something with i don't mean to offend or hurt you that it will do just that. I really look up to you and all that you do with your life. You are always busy--but always have time to do very fun creative things with your family! Hang in there!

Julie said...

Dear Jodi, Melissa, and Jamie,
Thank you for your encouragement!
I went to a Day for Women and heard great things (basically about "learning to say 'No' with love, Meditation, Forgiveness and Healing, etc.) I really feel as though these things were meant to happen for my growth. I have known for sometimes that I was trying to juggle too many things and so I was only doing things part way.
Change has always been hard for me! Criticism (even if true) is too. I'm thankful for YOU, my friends. I feel as if I had known this gal better--I may have been able to see her point of view. Funny thing was...it was one of the first times in 8 yrs. that I really felt like the meeting we co-lead was helpful and I didn't walk away filled with self-doubt and anxiety. Still room to grow up! Thanks for your kind comments.