Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Lessons I'm Learning

The last few days have been hard. The days of desperation and pain from Joe's Meningitis are gone now but his slow, not steady, progress is disheartening. Joe was surprised at how car sick and dizzy he felt when he accompanied me while dropping off the preschooler at school. At times of late I have reflected what the Lord would have me learn from these trials. Hannah has been battling a bladder infection, Susie has an ear infection, I am coming down with the flu (fever, headache, sore throat, runny/congested nose, body aches). I still feel I am physically carrying a baby, four children, and a run down husband (physically and emotionally). Maybe one of the lessons learned is that I can't physically carry it all. That I am not supposed to. Perhaps Heavenly Father wants me to learn to be humble, to set aside my pride, and ask. When someone asks or indicates that they would like to help--perhaps I could suggest a way they could help us. Perhaps. I believe in the power of prayer. It is one of the best gifts we can give one another. My prayers have been more sincere and filled with faith. Let me last until things start to improve around here. I took the follow from a post at Segullah.

Pray for me; heal my heart

Posted by Michelle L. | March 24, 2011

After the funeral, the house felt oddly clean and quiet– especially in little Robert’s room where his blue-trimmed crib lay empty. Just days before, Pam’s miracle baby had pulled himself up to standing, laughed at the sunshine and reached for her arms; but in the morning he was blue and still.

Pam stepped onto her back porch, turned her face to the moon and wondered how long her heart could continue to beat when she was so filled with pain. As she stood outside she began to hear whispers, to literally feel the prayers of all the friends, neighbors and family who were praying for her and her husband. They came to her like falling stars, tiny bits of light splintering the great blackness of grief.

I’ve thought of Pam’s experience on the back porch many times since she described it to me. Any time that I’ve thought that my one prayer couldn’t make a difference, or been shy to ask for prayers in my behalf, I’ve pictured that celestial meteor shower of hope and love.

My friend Cheri recently introduced me to the concept of a personal prayer roll. As Cheri is acquainted with a concern or grief, she adds that person to a prayer roll that she keeps at her bedside. And each night, Cheri reads those names, praying for each person individually. When Cheri told me she had added me to her prayer roll last fall, I felt a rush of love and gratitude for her and an extra assurance that God was aware of my needs. I’ve since created my own list with the names of my children, the Young Women I serve and loved ones in need. I believe there is great power in speaking those names out loud. I know God hears my prayers.

In the past, I felt awkward about asking others to pray for me. Now I plea with my friends and visiting teachers to petition God in my behalf. Many, many days I have felt a lightening, an extra strength that I know was a result of prayers offered in my name.

Few actions make me feel more loved than when someone tells me they’ve placed my name on the prayer roll of the temple. I usually stand in front of that little white box, scribbling names and searching my mind for who I may have forgotten– and yes, I always pen my own name.

Last Wednesday, I said goodbye to my oldest son on the curb of the Provo MTC. “Take a good look at that cute face,” my friend advised, “because you’ll never see it again. When he comes back he’ll be changed.”

Ben was so giddy, so glad to leave that we were all perhaps, a little overconfident. But the MTC is hard, especially that first week. He wrote:

“I don’t mean to complain or make you worry but I think it helps to admit that things are hard. I never thought it would be this hard. One night I was having an especially lonely time. I prayed and told Heavenly Father I didn’t know if I could do this. I climbed into bed and as I lay there I saw you all praying for me– Mom, Dad, Stefan, Hans, Xander, Gabriel and silly little Mary followed with her own prayer. I felt so loved. I immediately felt better; I love you all so much.”

Photobucket

And so, I’ll continue to offer, every night, every hour, a prayer for those I love.

How have you felt the power of prayer in your life?

How do you make your prayers more effective?

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Wow, that is amazing. Thank you for sharing. I'm so sorry that you and your family are going through so many trials at this time. I heard something recently that has stuck with me. It is "strength isn't something you have or dont have, it's something you find along the way." We will continue to pray for all of you. To pray that you will all have the strength to get through this time. I hope that things begin to improve very soon!

RJ said...

Oh Julie. I really am grateful for prayer, I wish I could do more, but I hope my prayer brings you some on-hands support...I really believe God does not want us to do this alone.

(P.S. I sent you a thank you comment on your green chili post - do you have your comments emailed to you? Sometimes I comment on old posts I bet you never see them!)