Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Electricity Gone, imagination On!

This morning the Power Company came to turn my power off so that they could move my box from inside the new construction area and over the roof line to mount on the side of the new addition. I knew they were coming and thought about it as I nursed the baby in bed this morning. I was tired. I am tired. They estimated the job at 4-8 hours. They turned the power off. Off went the lights, the ceiling fan, the humidifier (noisemaker), the computer, the portable phones, the digital clock, the microwave and stove, etc. Then, the doorbell rang with two cousins that were coming to spend the day. I had forgotten. I came downstairs and began making breakfast: sliced apples and sandwiches (which did not involve opening the refrigerator letting out the cold air). We talked about maybe going to the park and the library. The baby began to cry and I carried her upstairs to bed. While putting her down, I listened and smiled. The oldest cousin gathered all the children into the living room. They divided up into "houses" and came up with "names." They were going on a quest, as a team. This is the snippet I overheard: "There may be a monster guarding the Fairy Shrine..." began one. "No one really knows where it is--because it trades places every hour." "Every hour?" "Yes! Every hour." And they were off, out the front door and around the side of the house... battling monsters, solving riddles, looking for clues and playing outdoors-- with just their imagination! Thank goodness for no electricity. (It was off from 9:00-2:00 p.m.) We ate a simple lunch, re hydrated with juice, and began playing boardgames in the afternoon. The tv and the computer were off all day and no one missed them.

1 comment:

Mom4ever said...

Awesome...we may have to plan an outage in the near future! :o)