Monday, May 25, 2009

Thoughts on Memorial Day

Memorial Day 2009 This year we had the family BBQ before going to the graves. Of course, on the way to three cemetaries, Hannah lets out a gasp and hits herself in the forehead. (This is after a long week-end mind you). "Oh, I just remembered! My big project for bookclubs is due tomorrow and I have to make all the scenery and finish the script for pictures of hollis woods!" Memorial Day this year we will continue the tradition of years gone by: meet at noon with extended family at a pool party, BBQ. Before the party, often on Sunday, it has been wonderful to remember why we celebrate and who we remember on this holiday. Joe was writing his nephews (the two sons of his deceased brother, LJ today). After writing my thoughts of him, I began perusing photos to find his grave at Provo Cemetery. My brothers are interred in Mapleton Cemetery, and sweet Susan T'chien from China is at East Lawn. We remember you. We remember your life. You are not forgotten. From last year (May 25, 2008)

1 comment:

Jason and Jamie said...

I grew up always visiting graves of family on Memorial Day--that's not something I do out here in Maryland though because all of ours are in the West---so it's harder to teach my children about Memorial Day--but we do what we can do!