Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Positively ADD, Book Review ****

This book caught my eye at the library recently. Our family has been learning about and juggling with this condition recently. ADD/ADHD seems to get a very bad wrap until recently when Rick Riordan wrote his award winning book series about Percy Jackson, an ADHD adolescent who also has Dylexia and is a demi-god who is only beginning to realize his powers and worth in the fight between good and evil. I think that book series alone, gave many children and teens (possibly adults) with this condition hope and the ability to find good within this condition.
Positively ADD; Real Success Stories to Inspire Your Dreams by Catherine A. Corman and Edward M. Hallowell, M.D.
One quote in particular was interesting to me. "People with ADD also wrestle with getting organized, being on time, making plans, following through to the end of tasks, keeping up with ongoing projects, taking care of details, and prioritizing what needs to be done next. These so called executive functions can wax and wane in people with ADD, leading to a pattern of underachievement. Many people see this behavior as evidence of laziness, lack of interest, or lack of drive and commitment. Most of the time, nothing could be further from the truth. People with ADD are typically ferociously tenacious. They are not lazy--but they can get lost. And they can agonize as they try to find not the easy way out in life but the right way in."

2 comments:

Jason and Jamie said...

thats a great comment!

Julie said...

Thanks, Jamie.
Can you tell what has been on my mind lately? I guess I have always had tendencies but after the Fifth was born--I realized I had to dig myself out and I have gone back on medication the last couple of months and I am amazed that I can actually get some things done...dispite the children, interruptions, etc. My Fifth Grade teacher once said at a PT Conf. "Well, Julie, is sure a daydreamer."
We've noticed tendencies in the children and struggled to know what to do--it effects their self-esteem to always have teachers "on their backs" at school.