Saturday, May 7, 2011

What Women Don't Want For Mother's Day

What women don't want for Mother's Day
May 7th, 2011 @ 8:28am
By Nicole Pollard, ksl.com contributor

SALT LAKE CITY — I have two small children at home. When Mother’s Day rolls around, it’s highly improbable that they’ll honor this treasured day without the help of my husband. For those with young children, it’s up to dad to plan something special for the women in their lives.

Despite popular opinion, women are simple creatures. No, really. I mean it. I asked 15 women what their ideal Mother’s Day would be like, and not one of them mentioned extravagant gifts or getaways. In fact, what they all seemed to want more than anything, was a handmade card or something sentimental from their children.

Another popular request was “time.” Time alone, time to visit with other women or time to do nothing in particular seems to be what they've put on their wish list this year. And who can blame them? When it’s difficult to use the restroom without little hands poking under the door, some time alone can be the best gift of all.

Though we love and appreciate anything we’re given on Mother’s Day, there are a few things that can spell disaster for a man on this holiday. A word of advice to men: Never say, “You’re not my mother,” and ignore this special day altogether. I’ve heard a man say this to his wife and the mother of his three children. I can’t tell you what happened to him. I turned away in shock and horror, fearing for his life.

Also, steer clear of cards and flowers from the gas station. Don’t think you can pull one over on us. Women have a sixth sense about these things, and we’ll know where they came from. You’ll feel the sting of your wife’s wrath, come Father’s Day or sooner. Nothing says, “I put absolutely no thought into your gift,” like a bouquet and card from the Chevron station.

Avoid giving your wife an Xbox game for Mother’s Day. Unless a woman asks for this type of present specifically, go another route. I only mention this because my husband, with all the love in his heart, bought me Guitar Hero one year.

I’ll admit, it’s a great game, but I didn’t ask for it. It wasn’t unlike the time Homer Simpson gave Marge a bowling bowl with his name on it for her birthday.

Listen to your wife. Ask her what she wants and don’t accept, “I don’t know,” as an answer. If your wife replies, “Whatever you get me is fine,” document it. Have her sign that document in blood so when she's disappointed, you have physical proof that you at least tried.

You can’t go wrong with breakfast in bed or a massage.

What women want more than anything, however, is to feel appreciated and loved. A good mother spends countless hours caring for her family and nurturing those around her. Put time and thought into how you honor the women in your life this Mother’s Day.

---

Nicole Pollard currently resides in Canyon Country, Calif.

This article made me laugh. I love being a Mother. I have learned to enjoy Mother's Day by dropping the expectations and delighting in the little surprises (that is, the ones that don't require more work from me as mom to clean up). I have felt as the author with two little people at home and even asked for "time to be me and not be a mother" for my birthday that year. I was looking forward to a long bath and painting my toes nails.

I am so grateful for the children who made me a mother.

1 comment:

Jodi said...

Fun article. Thanks for sharing! This year I wanted a clean kitchen, a nap, and for the children to be kind to each other. The first two I received, but the last one they are still working on...:-)

Happy Mother's Day!!!