Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Cake and Ice Cream (Jonathan's Second Surgery)

Couldn't sleep. Nervous! Hope everything would go well. Awoke early to take Jonathan to the hospital. Joe got up briefly--only to be sick and go back to bed and sleep near Susie. (He had a temporary crown put on yesterday over a new root canal). Jonathan whispered,"Mom, it isn't morning yet!" 6:20 a.m. still looks a lot like night, I agreed. Check-in at the hospital, Jonathan crouches next to me and complains about the cold morning air. I move him (in rock position) closer to my right ankle. Two minutes later, he is GONE! A kind elderly couple behind points down the curved marble hallway. Eighty yards down the formal entryway of marble and pillars and as yet closed counters, a nurse is pointing quietly. I creep around a pillar, behind a fake ficus tree, and under a closed counter ledge--Jonathan? "I don't want to be here, Mom" he whispers up at me. "I know." I scoop him up and carry him with me. "I don't want to be here (alone) either!" After accepting the inevitable, sweet nurses guided our way through. 19 kg. No fever. Groovy pajamas. Card making kit with stickers, paper, crayons, a wooden truck and "Slither" the stuffed snake--lucky boy! Medicine to swallow, no "I can't breathe!" mask to wear to fall asleep. This surgery removed a triangle of bone and then two pins (which look like crossed metal chop sticks) hold the newly straightened thumb in place. Recovery was longer. I await my boy. Joe comes with Susie. Susie thinks waiting quietly and sitting is too long. We go for a walk. Yeah! Jonathan is wheeled back by two guys laughing because "I am going to eat cake and Ice-cream!"Jonathan has told. (Huh!? We don't have cake or ice-cream at home, uh-oh.) "Take it off! Please, nurse, take this off!" Jonathan pleads with the discharge nurse, ignoring the removal of the sticky heplock and I.V. and motioning to his right bandaged hand. We negotiate a deal--the bandages come off around Christmas..."And Christmas is in two days so that isn't long..." Jonathan tells Susie in the car. **Jonathan was born with a double thumb jointed on his right hand--his "lucky thumb." He was indeed a "six fingered man" if you are familiar with A Princess Bride. His first operation was January 27, 2008. (The plan was to have both surgeries before he started school). If interested, Joe blogged about it and showed before and after pictures.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I think I missed something. When was his first surgery? Did he have a broken thumb? Going to hospitals are hard for children. I'm glad he made it through. Hope Christmas comes fast!

Jason and Jamie said...

If Christmas is in 2 days--I'm in trouble! I'm glad that surgery went well--hopefully Jonathan gets used to the bandages soon!