Monday, April 27, 2009

Do Birds Sing in Heaven?

Saturday was a day full of adventures around here. We played Guinea Pig Parlor and shampooed, conditioned, and cut the Peruvian long-haired guinea pigs hair. While in the garage rinsing off guinea pig hair Jonathan came to me and said, "Mom, I found a bird! It is really cold and shaking." "Where?" He lead me to a back corner by a sliding glass window and there on the floor was a yellow house finch. It was indeed shaking. I took a clean, soft cloth and scooped it up and brought it out by the bird feeder. There it circled around and we discovered that it had hurt one of it's legs. Rebekah called Aunt Beth, our Zoologist, and she said she would come and take a look. She instructed Bekah to put it in a box with something soft. She did. Moments later Rebekah brought the peaceful bird to me. It was sitting in the box with it's eye's closed and it's wings wrapped in close to it's body. Dad and Bekah and Jonathan had an impromptu funeral and the small bird was buried in the front rose garden. Bekah and I had a long talk about where birds go when they die. Then she worked for a long time on the table on this (above post-it note). It says: "is there a heaven in the sky for birds to fly to when they die?"

1 comment:

RJ said...

Oh my gosh Julie, this made me cry. Your girls are so blessed to have you. Much love to you and yours (and all the little birdies in the sky). XO